The number of medical transplants being conducted in India is increasing every day. In fact, the kidneys are the most transplanted organ. A surgical procedure as critical as a transplant can have a major impact on every aspect of the patient’s life – be it mental, physical, or financial. One major aspect that often gets neglected when planning for a major surgery is the postoperative phase, which also happens to be the longest one. Recovery and rehabilitation from the surgery is essential to improve the quality of life, and to get back to living a healthy life as soon as possible.
Two aspects that play a major role in the postoperative phase to ensure a speedy recovery are diet and exercise. Below are basic diet and exercise tips to keep in mind after a transplant surgery.
Your dietitian/ nutritionist or doctor will help you decide the most appropriate diet for you, based on your current and past medical status.
- Balance your diet to include all nutrients from food sources. The ones that you cannot get from food can be supplemented.
- Ensure sufficient calorie intake to support a speedy recovery. This is to be calculated on the individuals’ parameters. However, be sure to avoid unwanted weight gain.
- Increase protein intake through lean meats, reduced fat dairy and vegetarian sources to aid in the recovery process.
- Don’t forget to take your prescribed medications daily.
- Ask your doctors to brief you on any possible food-drug interaction.
- Avoid raw or uncooked foods as there may be a risk of infection.
- Avoid eating out.
- Wash your produce daily, or soak it in salt water, to ensure it is completely clean before being cooked.
Aside from following a balance and healthy diet, exercise will aid in rebuilding strength, mobility, as well as keeping off unwanted weight. Ensure that your doctor clears you before you start any exercise program, and be sure to do so with a qualified trainer who understands your medical condition.
- Start with low intensity exercise such as slow paced walking for 10-15 minutes a day. You can build this up as your strength increases.
- Resistance training should only be done at a pace and level that you’re comfortable with.
- Always warm up before starting exercise and cool down after.
- Stay hydrated while exercising.
- Avoid pushing yourself too much.
At Impact Guru, we understand the severity of financial strain on families of those who’ve undergone a transplant. In India crowdfunding has helped alleviate financial troubles for such families – be it for treatment, expensive medication, or rehabilitation. You too can start a fundraiser on Impact Guru’s crowdfunding India platform for yourself or a loved one in need of financial help.